These must be busy and exciting days as you anticipate your forthcoming graduation. Congratulations! We in the College of Human Environmental Sciences take great pride in your achievements and look forward to joining you in graduation activities. The information below may be useful as you formulate graduation plans
- HES Departments: If you have not completed a graduation check, please make an appointment via MU Connect with Carla Jerome Beckmann in 106 Gwynn Hall to make sure that all requirements have been met.
- Social Work: If you have questions about your graduation status, please see Kathleen Claxton-Rogers in 722 Clark, or call her at 882-1656.
Outcomes Survey: Be sure to complete the outcomes survey. Take the survey at http://missouri-HES-SSW.12twenty.com. The survey will take your 3-5 minutes. If your plans are not settled, that is okay – answer the survey now, and then update it when your plans are finalized.
The commencement ceremony for the College of Human Environmental Sciences will be held at 2 p.m. on Friday, December 14, 2018 in Jesse Hall. Tickets are not required; you can bring as many guests as you want. Please note that graduates must report in cap and gown and start checking in at 1:15 p.m. at the second floor of Jesse hall where you will line up within your department.
This ceremony provides the ideal "photo opportunity" to commemorate your graduation activities. A commercial photographer will take a photograph of each graduate during his/her special moment of recognition.
Caps, gowns, and tassels will be worn for this event, and are available at the University Book Store. Invitations are available through C.B. Announcements. You can contact them by calling 800-433-0296 or one of the following web pages www.cbgrad.com or https://www.themizzoustore.com/c-716-mizzou-graduation.aspxm.
You may request transcripts from the Registrar’s Office, 125 Jesse or via the website, http://registrar.missouri.edu/transcripts-records/official-transcripts.php. When ordering your transcript prior to the end of the semester make sure you indicate you want to have the transcript held for grades. Be certain your student account is paid. Transcripts and diplomas will not be released if you have any University financial obligations.
Graduates completing degree requirements by December 14, 2018 will receive the official diploma from the Registrar’s Office by mid-April.
For your use and convenience, a web site has been established focusing on graduation and related topics. It outlines questions and answers pertaining to commencement exercises, MU traditions, parking and more! It is located at http://commencement.missouri.edu/. Please check it out and take advantage of useful tool!
Should you need a wheel chair ramp or a guest need an interpreter or extra time to be seated, accommodations will be made to assist your participation in the HES Commencement Ceremony. Please contact our HES Student Services Office by December 7, 2018. You may either stop by 106 Gwynn or call (573) 882-6424 to provide the necessary information.
You will be receiving a diploma cover during commencement exercises. Inside the diploma cover, you will find an application for membership to the University of Missouri Alumni Association. We have been tremendously impressed by the activities and services of the Alumni Association. An award winning magazine, Mizzou, will keep you up-to-date on campus activities, and you will also receive special announcements for events such as travel tours. In addition, our Human Environmental Sciences Alumni Organization receives a percentage of the dues for its own projects that promote our College.
The University will send a commencement invitation to parents. We believe graduation is an especially happy time for families, and we’ve planned our ceremony to give them a close-up opportunity to applaud you. We warmly encourage meaningful participation in one of life’s true milestone events.
The College of Human Environmental Sciences Commencement will be held at 2 p.m. on Friday, December 14, 2018 in Jesse Hall. The commencement is formal, and traditional caps and gowns must be worn by the candidates. Please read the following instructions carefully:
- Please start reporting at 1:15 p.m. to the second floor in Jesse Hall wearing your cap and gown.
- Mortar boards should be worn parallel to the ground, flat on the head. All candidates will wear tassels on the back right side. The tassels should remain there throughout the convocation exercises. Flowers and decorative jewelry should not be worn on the academic gown. Black or dark shoes are recommended.
- You will line up by department/school, so look for your department sign. You will receive a 3x5 card with your name on it as soon as you arrive. Take this card with you to the ceremony. The line will begin with undergraduate students lined up by department. BSW students will be the last undergraduate group. They will be followed by MSW students, then HES Master's students and finally PhD students.
- To begin the procession, you will be led from the line-up area to the seating area. You will be counted into your row; it may feel like there are not enough seats, but there are. Remain standing until all candidates have entered, the platform party (faculty and guests) has entered and been seated, and the music has stopped.
- During the ceremony, Ms. Shahan will ask you to stand and approach the stage. As a department, stand up and move to the side of the auditorium. Give your 3x5 card to the person who will be reading your name as you cross the stage. When your name is called proceed to Dean Rikoon, he will present your diploma cover and shake your hand. Next proceed to the Alumni Board president who will congratulate you and then proceed to your department’s faculty.
- Finally exit from the stage. Remain standing until all the students in your department/school have returned to their seats. Please remain standing until you have all reached your chairs. The chairperson or director will then ask you to be seated.
- At the end of the ceremony, the platform party will recess, followed by the graduates. You will exit in the same order that you come in. Please stand when the platform party rises to leave.
- The University has arranged for a professional photographer to take pictures.
- Congratulations! We will be interested in knowing where you are and what you are doing in the next stages of your career. Please keep in touch!
Download printer-friendly PDF of Graduation Instructions