Skip to Sub-menu

Advisees & Holds

The HES Student Services office will update advising lists at the beginning of each month. These are saved in the department’s digital files. The month in which the student enters into your program will be noted in the column titled “Active in HES.”

Advisors will receive a notification of students who have left their program at the beginning of each month. Physical files for those students (if applicable) should be returned to the HES Student Services office upon receipt of the notification.

Advisee information can be found in two places.

  • Advisor Center in MyZou > Self-Service > Advisor Center
  • Advising List added to the department digital files during the first week of each month by the HES Student Service Office

NOTE: The advising list is not an official document.

Students can view their holds in myZou on their Student Center page. You can view the hold when you access a student’s Student Center page in MyZou. If they have holds, they/you should click the word details. This will send them to a second screen with a list of all of their holds. Selecting the underlined portion of the hold in question will send them to a third screen with information about the hold, actions needed to have it removed, and contact information for the office that placed the hold.

Advising Hold Calendar – HES

January – February

  • Advising holds placed on all Winter Welcome students after they receive Winter Welcome advising. Removed after early registration meeting with advisor.
  • Last Day to enroll for spring semesters: holds added for students who transfer Oct 1- Feb 28. Removed after early registration meeting with advisor.


  • Advising holds placed on all Summer Welcome students after Summer Welcome advising. Removed after early registration meeting with advisor.

August – September

  • Last day to enroll for fall semester: holds added for students who transfer March 1-September 30. Removed after early registration meeting with advisor.

For removal of advising holds email HES Student Services (

Degree Audit & Common Course Questions

Bookmark this link:

  • Click on the word students in the task bar, search box will pop-up, Click on the Search Box
  • Enter student ID or by student name
  • Click on Submit (student ID) or Search (student name)
  • System will pull the program and catalog year that is entered in student’s record in myZou
  • Click: Run Declared Programs
  • Click: on the audit you wish to view

All exceptions and substitutions must be entered into the students audit individually. This can be labor intensive with curriculum changes i.e., subbing a different course for each student. When you have determined an exception or substitution is warranted complete the “Audit Exception Form” on the advisor resource page, ASAP. This allows the change to be entered into the audit.

Audit Exception Form:

Note the email address is when sending the exception form, also copy the student.

HES Student Services are entering in the exceptions on a weekly basis.

Special situations:

Catalog years prior to F18

Stat 1200 transfer credit does not automatically populate in the Biological, Physical and Mathematical (BPM) General Education. Thus, you will see that Stat 1200 (if a requirement) will fall in the requirement area but not in the BPM General Education. When you see this situation, complete an exception and we will process a University exception form. Our office will send this exception request to the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies which will make the decision. If approved, the Coordinator of Degree Audits will enter the exception into the student’s audit.

Lower Level WI – if student completed an AA at a Missouri Accredited school, we will waive the lower level WI. Complete an exception form informing us that he student has an AA from a Missouri school and the lower level is completed based on them earning an AA. We will enter this into the student’s audit.

This is called Common Credit Limitation. Please review the previous link for a complete list of University credit limitations.


A student is allowed to earn a maximum of 4 credits towards graduation in Stat 1200, Stat 1300, Stat 1400, Stat 2200, Stat 2500 and Stat 2530.

A student may not earn credit towards graduation for more than one of the following: Psych 2410, HDFS 3420 or Esc Ps 2500

The maximum credits allowed for fall and spring term is 18 hours and summer is 9 hours. Advisors must approve any enrollment exceeding 18 credit hours or 9 credits in summer. Send email to with a following information:

Student name
Student number
Course and section of the course requested that will put student over the 18 hours
Permission number, if applicable

It is best not to follow the sample course plan on the course catalog when determining how many elective hours a student has to complete.

Follow this simple calculation:

120 (minimum credits to graduate)

  • Credits completed (note: Use the degree audit. myZou does not show an accurate number.)
  • Major credits left to complete
  • General education/HES college requirements left to complete (subtract credit for major requirements that double-dip with general education)

= Elective hours required to graduate

Self-Paced Semester Based

Completion time is 6 weeks to 16 weeks. Start and end dates run with the semester dates. Many self-paced 16-week courses have checkpoints set by the instructor that the student must meet to complete the course on time. The last day to enroll in a self-paced semester based course is different than the deadline for a 16-week campus course and is found here:


Completion time is 6 weeks to 6 months long. Students select the start date. Students can create a completion plan with the assistance of a Mizzou Online advisor by emailing

Students think that a self-paced course is going to be easier since he/she does not have to go to class—as you know, this is not true. Self-Paced courses are one of the most common reasons a student does not graduate on time.

Dates graduating candidates should complete self-paced courses:

  • Spring candidates – May 1
  • Summer candidates – July 20
  • Fall candidates– December 1

A rule of thumb to help determine if a self-paced course is a feasible option for a student. If they are interested in the subject, are a strong student, and have the time management skills to complete the course.

General Education

See the student’s degree audit to determine if they have any general education requirements left to complete. Check if those requirements can be double-counted with HES Foundation options or program requirements before suggesting that they complete an additional requirement from the general education course list.
Students who have completed Core42 will have a milestone listed in their myZou student center (above their enrollment date and advisor information).

F19 and newer audits will remove general education lines once complete. A notice that general education is complete will be noted at the beginning of the audit.

  • The general education website Course List is a searchable webpage that includes course descriptions and prerequisite information.
  • Options are listed in degree audits for Sp18 or earlier catalog years. F18 or later degree audits will hyperlink to the general education website. See below:
    HTML version:
    screen shot of HTML version
    PDF version:
    screen shot of HTML version
  • Schedule Planner allows students to search for general education requirements offered in the given semester.
    • To search by attribute, select “Add Course”
    • Select, “Search by Attribute” and filter each requested field to see available options
  • myZou: Use the additional search criteria function. General education categories are included in the “Course Attribute” dropdown menu.
    screen shot of HTML version

In MyZou, WI courses are denoted by a ‘W’. For example, Soc 2200W.

If you need a list of all options, you have two options:

  • Use the Additional Search Criteria in myZou –this will give a large number of choices. You can narrow the search by indicating a subject in Class Search and WI in Additional Search Criteria in the myZou.
  • A running list of all WI courses can be found at

Minors & Certificates

Remind students they must declare minor and certificates they are pursuing before they graduate, even if the courses are included in their program requirements. At this time each, minor/certificate has its own rules, policies and declaration forms for applying. Use, type in the minor/certificate the student is declaring to locate the minor/certificate requirements and declaring instructions regarding the specific minor/certificate.

No, remind students they cannot earn a minor or certificate within their majors i.e., student earning a degree in the NEP Department cannot earn a minor in that major; NEP major cannot earn a Wellness minor.

  • PFMS emphasis may earn a PFP certificate. PFP emphasis may not earn a PFP certificate.
  • TAM APD students may earn a Digital Merchandising certificate; however, TAM AMM and ARDM students may not earn the certificate.

Minors and certificates must be awarded at the time a student’s degree is awarded. Students must apply for minors before they graduate.

Change Major or Emphasis

Students should submit the “Records Change Request” form on the following website: Once the change has been made, the student and the advisor will receive an email notification of the changes made.

Deadlines for change of major: Nov. 15 for fall, April 15 for spring. Students submitting a request after these dates will be reviewed after fall or spring grades post.

  • The student should meet with an advisor for the program that they want to declare or an advisor in HES Student Services.
  • After the meeting, the student should submit the New Student Information form and Change of Major request on the advisor resource website: Please complete this step during the meeting if the student knows that they want to declare.
  • Once approved, student services will update the student’s program and advisor information. Students with changes pending have folders P: > HES Student Services > # Student Records in Process.


Spring and Summer candidates apply June 1 year prior to anticipated gradation date (AGD), Example: AGD Spring 2021 apply by June 1, 2020.

Fall candidates apply December 1 year prior to anticipated graduation date (AGD), Example: AGD Fall 2020 apply by December 1, 2019.

  • Go to
  • Box on left side of screen
  • Click Graduation
  • Click Evaluation for Graduation Form
  • Student will login with pawprint and password
  • Complete form

Alex and Carla divide the departments between the two of us. The departments Alex reviews first, Carla double checks and vice versa. After the student information has been double-checked we then send the merge letter to the student and to the advisor of record.

In addition, the audit and the letter are both stored in the student E-Records on the P: Drive – they are stored based on the department and the anticipated graduation date.

P Drive > Student Records > Department > #Applied for Graduation > select semester student is anticipating graduation > sorted by last name

Summer. No, summer candidates typically participate in the spring ceremony.

University Policies

The course repeat policy can be used if a student has earned grade of C- or below. The policy at MU is for MU courses (ie. the student can’t take a course elsewhere and use it as a grade replacement).

  • A maximum of 15 credits of coursework, though students are allowed to repeat more than 15 credits if necessary to meet degree requirements.
  • The policy is not automatically applied when a course is repeated. The student must request via the following link,
  • If the student is currently repeating a course, paperwork can be submitted prior to the completion of the course – grade for current semester enter “IP” (in progress).
  • The second attempt will replace a first attempt. If a student takes a course three times, the second and third attempt will be calculated into a student’s GPA.
  • Students who have repeated more than 15 credits are allowed to revise which credits to utilized within the course repeat policy. Please see Student Services for more information.

Course withdrawal

The last day to drop a course without a grade can be found on the official academic calendar, Before this date, no course or grade will appear on a student’s transcript. After that date, a student must complete a withdrawal form to “drop” the course. At the end of the semester, the course and a grade of W or WF will appear on the student’s transcript.

The course withdrawal form can be found at, A student will complete form and stop by HES Student Services office for a Dean’s Stamp. The approving individual is typically in our office.

Things to consider before withdrawing from a course:

  • The student will also want to know if the instructor plans to give them a W or “WF”. Students can pick up a verification form from the HES Student Service Office or they can email their professor.
    • NOTE: W does not affect GPA,WF affects GPA.
  • If student is on Financial Aid, they should check with the Financial Aid office to verify if withdrawing from the course will affect them now and later.
  • Student should also check the Cashier’s website.
  • International Students should check with the International Center if withdrawing for a course will put them below full-time.
  • Athletes cannot drop below full-time.

The last day to withdraw from a course can be found at

Term withdrawal

A term withdraw is used to drop all courses for the semester. The term withdraw form can be found at The student will complete form and stop by HES Student Services office for a Dean’s Stamp. The approving individual is typically in our office.

Things to consider before withdrawing from the term:

  • Students enrolled in a single course during the summer semester should use the term withdrawal form, not the course withdrawal form, because they are withdrawing from ALL courses (even though “all” is only one course).
  • The student will also want to know if the instructor plans to give them a “W” or “F”. Students can pick up a verification form from the HES Student Service Office or they can email their professor.
    • NOTE: “W” does not affect GPA, “F” affects GPA.
  • If student is on Financial Aid, they should check with the Financial Aid office to verify if withdrawing from the course will affect them now and later.
  • Student should also check the Cashier’s website.
  • International Students should check with the International Center if withdrawing from the term will affect his/her status.
  • Athletes should visit with his/her Athletic and Advisor and Academic Advisor.

The last day for a term withdraw can be found at