Named Gift Guidelines
Establishing a named gift to support students, programs, facilities, or faculty creates a legacy on campus while affirming the impact of a Mizzou education. MU offers various named gift
opportunities, with minimum amounts described as follows. Naming opportunities are approved in accordance with University policy.
|Endowed Named Scholarships|
|Endowed Named Scholarship||$25,000 minimum|
|Flagship Scholarship||$300,000 – $1.2 million|
|Faculty Scholar||$100,000 – $250,000|
|Visiting Professorship||$100,000 – $250,000|
|Chair||$1.5 million – 2.5 million|
|Other Endowed Funds|
|Fund for Excellence||$50,000|
|Department Lecture Series||$25,000|
|School or College Lecture Series||$100,000|
|Campus Lecture Series||$1 million|
|Department/Academic Unit $5 million||$25 million|
|Center/Institute||$5 million – $25 million|
|School or College||$30 million – $100 million|
|Facilities and Spaces|
|Buildings (New Construction)||Minimum of 25-50% of the construction cost|
|Buildings (Existing)||Minimum of 25-50% of the construction cost for renovation/replacement|
|Other spaces (Interior & Exterior)||University discretion based on factors such as size, location, usage|
|Endowed Athletics Positions|
|Assistant Coaches||$1 million|
|Other Head Coaches||$2 million|
|Head Men’s Basketball Coach||$5 million|
|Head Football Coach||$5 million|
Bequests are one of the easiest forms of planned giving. A bequest may be provided through a will or trust, but it must be worded correctly in order to ensure that the donor’s wishes are fulfilled. The Office of Gift Planning and Endowments will provide sample language that may assist in establishing a bequest.
Donors may name the University as the beneficiary of their retirement account. This gift option may provide significant income tax and estate tax benefits.
Permanent life insurance policies may be donated to the University. Donors will obtain the greatest tax benefits by naming the University of Missouri-Columbia as both the owner and beneficiary of the gifted policy.
Donors and the University both receive financial rewards through the following three types of gifts:
- A charitable gift annuity is a simple, contractual agreement between the University and a donor in which assets are transferred to the University in exchange for life payments. Payments can be for one or two persons. Rates are based on age. After the annuitant’s lifetime the remainder is available to be used by the University as specified by the donor.
- When donors transfer cash or other assets to a charitable remainder trust, these funds are invested, and quarterly income from the trust is paid to the donor or to others chosen by the donor. When the trust is terminated, the remaining funds are transferred to the University.
- The University’s Pooled Income Fund is similar to a mutual fund. This fund allows gifts to be “pooled” with those from other donors, and prorated shares of the fund’s earnings are distributed to all donors. After a donor’s lifetime, the remainder of his or her interest in the fund is transferred to the University.
- A retained life estate allows donors to contribute their home to the University while continuing to live there. The University becomes the sole owner of the property either when donors choose to move from their home or after their lifetime.
The information provided above on planned gifts is presented in summary form. For an illustration of a planned gift tailored to a specific request, donors may contact the Office of Gift Planning and Endowments. Also, donors should consult with their attorneys or tax advisers for legal and tax advice.
Mizzou Annual Fund
The Mizzou Annual Fund plays an important role in supporting numerous University of Missouri schools, colleges and organizations.
Through the Mizzou Annual Fund, donors may support the College of Human Environmental Sciences’ greatest needs:
- Studentinternships and scholarships
- Program development and faculty research projects
- Help upgrade our laboratory and computing facilities
Many donors find that the easiest ways to make a gift to the Mizzou Annual Fund are by check or credit card. Checks may be made payable to the University of Missouri and mailed along with a pledge form* to:
Mizzou Annual Fund
401 Reynolds Alumni and Visitors Center
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
The Mizzou Annual Fund also accepts gifts through Visa, MasterCard and Discover cards. To make a gift with a credit card, please choose one of the following options:
- Make a gift online
- Call us toll-free at 1-877-GIFT2MU with your credit card information.
- Mail in a pledge form and include your credit card information. You may download a pledge form* (PDF) and mail it to the address above.