Skip to navigation
Skip to sub-navigation
Skip to main content

Future Students | Current Students | Faculty/Staff | Alumni

Academic Programs at HES

The College of Human Environmental Sciences offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees in a wide range of areas, as well as graduate certificates. Many degrees are offered online.

Undergraduate Programs and Degree Requirements

Graduate Degree Programs

student studying in libraryThe six units that comprise the College of Human Environmental Sciences are listed below. Each of the departments grants a Master's degree and offers specialized study for the PhD degree. The School of Social Work offers the Master of Social Work degree and the PhD in Social Work.

Graduate Program Information:

Graduate programs in the College of Human Environmental Sciences are designed to enable students to combine knowledge in the chosen field with understanding of its application to individual, family and community life in contemporary society.

The student should:

  • develop a more mature understanding of the subject matter in a chosen field and of its application to current problems
  • develop greater familiarity with significant current and historical literature and with professional contributions to recognized leaders in the field of interest
  • develop further the ability to do independent and creative work of high quality and to further develop the ability to evaluate critically and competently the contributions of others
  • develop an appreciation for the contributions of research, an understanding of research methodology and statistical analysis, and the ability to interpret and evaluate research results

Program of Study:

The program of study is developed in consultation with the departmental advisor and, for PhD students, the program advisory committee. Considerable flexibility is given, particularly at the PhD level, to allow for individual goals and interests.

All Master's degree programs require independent research: some programs provide for projects rather than theses. The requirement for the degree is 30-36 credit hours, with at least 15 hours of work at the 8000 level.

New Course Numbering: Courses listed as 8000 and 9000 are restricted to graduate students only. Courses listed as 7000 are cross-listed and can be taken by both undergraduate and graduate students, but they are technically graduate courses. Courses for undergraduates are listed as 7000 and below.

Contact an Advisor

Carla Jerome Beckmann
Coordinator of Student Services & Records
106C Gwynn Hall
Phone: (573) 882-6423

Alex Embree
Student Services Coordinator
106B Gwynn Hall
Phone: (573) 882-0673