Posted: May 3, 2017
May 4, 9 a.m., Great Room, Reynolds Alumni Center - HES Senior Appreciation Pancake Breakfast
May 4, 6 p.m., Gwynn 208 - Dean's Advisory Board meeting
May 12, 7:30 p.m., Hearnes Center- HES Graduation Ceremony
May 17 - All Spring 2017 grades should be available in myZou by this date
For a full calendar of dates and deadlines for the Spring 2017 semester, visit the Registrar's Website.
HES May & August Graduation Ceremony
- There are NO TICKETS required for the ceremony; you can bring as many guests as you’d like
- HES does not have Honors cords; the Honors Societies or other groups within HES may have cords. Check with your organization's officers for cords.
- If you have not already done so, be sure to purchase your cap and gown at the Mizzou Store.
- If you have not completed the Outcomes survey, use this link to have the survey re-sent to you
The Hearnes Center has the following restrictions for graduates and guests:
- Bags will be checked
- Strollers are not permitted
- Large umbrellas not permitted- small umbrellas that can fit inside a purse are permissible
- All signage must be no larger than 2’X3’
- ADA Parking: Lot M, east of the Hearnes Center
HES Week Wrap-Up
We had another successful HES week in April and hope that you were able to participate in some of the events planned by your department and others in HES. These events wouldn’t be possible without the dedication of HES student leaders who plan a fun and informative week for the college. A big THANK YOU to everyone who planned, promoted, executed, and attended any of these events:
- Coffee and Donuts with the Financial Planning Association
- Movie and dinner with the Office for Financial Success
- A blanket-making party to benefit local women’s and children’s organizations with the Human Development and Family Science Student Association
- Free food and nutrition knowledge from the Nutrition and Wellness Association
- A seminar with Velma McBride Murry speaking about her research, “Promoting Positive Youth Development Among African-American Youth” and
- A networking trip for Textile and Apparel Management students
We regret that the HES Week kickball tournament was canceled due to bad weather and hope you’ll lace up your sneaks for the annual kickball game next year! The Personal Financial Planning Department is the two-time reigning champion of the game, so we’ll have to wait and see if another department can dethrone the champs next year.
The Dean’s Advisory Board presented the first ever HESTalks in collaboration with students from each of the six HES majors! Everyone walked away having learned something new and useful to their lives. Thank you to this year’s presenters:
- Kevin Roberts, Personal Financial Planning
- Allie Crank, School of Social Work
- Katie Shelton, Nutrition and Exercise Physiology
- Bailey Messer, Human Development and Family Science
- Olivia Bleeker, Textile and Apparel Management
Thank You, HES Ambassadors
Congratulations to the past and present Ambassadors graduating in May and December 2017, and thanks for all that you’ve done for the college - Alyssa Inman (ArchSt), Robin King (ArchSt), Cara Snyder (HDFS), Paul Gill (NEP), Chelsea Jones (NEP), Allie Crank (SocWk), Courtney Norris (TAM)!
Thank you to the 2016-2017 HES Ambassadors: Robin King (ARCHST), Sam Marre (HDFS), Erin Bowman (PFP), Chelsea Jones (NEP), Caileigh Smith (NEP), Allie Crank (SocWk), and Olivia Bleeker (TAM)! They each worked hard this year to help new HES students find their place in the college and to organize informative workshops to the benefit of students across the college such as:
- Preparing for Early Registration and Advising
- Introduction to Canvas and MU Connect
- Career Development for Freshmen and Sophomores (presented by the Career Center)
- Career Development for Juniors and Seniors (presented by the Career Center)
- Architectural Studies Presentation Board Workshop (presented by Dr. Laura Cole)
- Human Development and Family Science Faculty Meet and Greet Scavenger Hunt (in collaboration with the HDFS faculty)
- HDFS Mentor Program
- Nutrition and Exercise Physiology annual Trick and Meet Faculty Meet and Greet Scavenger Hunt (in collaboration with the NEP faculty)
- Personal Financial Planning Women’s Professional Panel
- Social Work Alumni Career Panel
- Social Work Mentor Program
- Textile and Apparel Management Senior Student Panel
- HES Week Kickball Tournament
We know you're very excited for summer break to finally begin, but don't forget to do these things:
- Register for your Fall 2017 courses as soon as possible to be sure you get a seat before they fill.
- Check your myZou Student Center on May 17 to be sure your grades are correct. You must check myZou for your official grades, not Canvas or Blackboard.
- If you plan to take a course somewhere else this summer, check the Transfer Equivalences website.
- HES Student Services will be open all summer, so if you have questions, you are welcome to contact us at 573-882-6424 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dean's Advisory Board
The Dean's Advisory Board is comprised of students from each HES department and each class to promote unity among the student body as well as provide social and philanthropic opportunities.
The last meeting of the semester will be May 4, 6 p.m. in Gwynn 208.