Interchange - December 15, 2016
Grants and Contracts
In the period between July 1, 2016 and October 31, 2016 HES and HES Extension faculty and staff were principal investigators or project directors on a total of 54 grant proposals submitted to external funding agencies, totaling$12,477,032. During this same time, HES and HES Extension received 24 grant awards totaling $15,818,652.
Accomplishments and Awards
Leigh Tenkku Lepper, School of Social Work, was elected to the Board of Directors for the National Organization on Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders.
Alexandria Lewis, School of Social Work, received the 2016 Excellence in Teaching with Technology Award for Graduate/Professional Teaching.
Marjorie Sable, School of Social Work, received the Leadership and Advocacy Award from the Maternal and Child Health Section of the American Public Health Association. The award was presented at the annual APHA meeting on October 31, 2016 in Denver, CO.
2016 MARY ELLEN EDMONDSON EDUCATOR OF THE YEAR AWARD
Andrew Zumwalt, better known as the “tax man” is the recipient of the 2016 Mary Ellen Edmondson Educator of the Year Award from the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education (AFCPE), the nationally recognized leader in financial counseling, coaching and education. Zumwalt is an Assistant Extension Professor and Associate State Specialist in the Department of Personal Financial Planning. He supports the MU Extension Family Financial Education regional specialists in their Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, better known as MOTax/VITA, which offers a gateway to financial education through taxpayer assistance to low income, disabled, homebound and English as a second language taxpayers.
Blanche Payne Award Recipient
Senior Textile and Apparel Management student, Allison Satkowski, is the recipient of the 2016 Blanche Payne Award from the International Textile and Apparel Association. Satkowski received the award at the ITAA conference held in Vancouver, B.C., November 8-11. Satkowski received the award for her Program for Undergraduate Research Experience (PURE) funded through the College of Human Environmental Sciences, in association with her mentor, Dr. Jean Parsons, Associate Professor, Textile and Apparel Management. The Blanche Payne Award carries a $5,000 award and is the largest award given to an undergraduate by ITAA. The award usually goes to a designer but this year ITAA chose Satkowski’s research paper on patents, titled Patenting fashion: Examining the design work of Marion McCoy, 1938-1944. Satkowski is from St. Louis, Mo., and is the daughter of George and Catherine Satkowski.
Publications and Presentations
- Fletcher, K.L., Albright, D.L., Rorie, K.A., and Lewis, A.M. (2017). Older Veterans. In Beder, J. (Ed.), Caring for the Military: A Guide for Helping Professions (pp. 54-71). New York, NY: Routledge. (SSW)
- Goswami, S., & Ha-Brookshire, J. (2016). Exploring U.S. retail employees’ experiences of corporate hypocrisy. Organization Management Journal, 13(3), 168-178. (TAM)
- Markward, M., Renner, L.M., Yu, M., & Cary, S. (In press) Perceptions of torture in men’s abuse of women. Violence and Gender. (SSW)
- Southworth, S., & Ha-Brookshire, J. (2016). The impact of cultural authenticity on brand uniqueness and willingness to try: The case of Chinese brands and U.S. consumers. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 28(4). ESCI journal. Available from http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/pdfplus/10.1108/APJML-11-2015-0174 (TAM)
- Yu, M., Chavez, P., Olate, R., & Peters, C. (In press) Cigarette smoking status among Latino/Hispanic middle- and high-school students in the United States. Substance Use & Misuse DOI: 10.1080/10826084.2016.1225763 (SSW)
Papers and Presentations
- Mott, R. (2016, October). Things We Never Even Considered; Impact of Food Insecurity on Middle School Youth. North Central American Association of Agricultural Education, Indianapolis, IN. (NEP)
- Mott, R., Fults, B., Praiswater, M., Yang, Y., Guillemette, A., Rankin, K. & Rost, A. (2016, October). College Access Camp Provides Opportunities for Middle School Students and Interns. Engagement Scholarship Consortium, Omaha, NE. (NEP)
- Kim, J., Pitner, R.O., & Yu, M. (2016, August) The role of social norms on adolescents’ judgments of spousal violence. 119th annual convention of American Psychological Association (APA), Denver, CO. (SSW)
- Chadwick, G., Everett, K., & Yu, M. (2016, April). Insights into elected officials attitudes and beliefs on tobacco policies, Tobacco 21. 22nd Annual Meeting of Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco (SRNT) Chicago, IL. (SSW)
- Wintemberg, J., & Yu, M. (2016, April). Cross-national prevalence and correlates of former smoking status in Turkey and the United States. 22nd Annual Meeting of Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco (SRNT) Chicago, IL. (SSW)
Mission: The College of Human Environmental Sciences addresses human needs and enhances individual and family life in a diverse and global society by conducting advanced research, preparing professionals and providing outreach.
Grants.Gov | Office of Research | Provost Office | University of Missouri | Mizzou Advantage